The GST & Indirect Taxes Committee is one of the most important non-standing Committees of the ICAI. The main function of the Committee is to examine the indirect taxes laws, rules, regulations, circulars, notifications etc., which may be enacted or issued by the Government from time to time and to send suitable memoranda containing suggestions for improvements in the respective legislation. The GST & Indirect Taxes Committee actively facilitates the process of formulation of budget by offering pre-budget and post-budget suggestions/comments to simplify tax laws and their administration for the purpose of making it more responsive to tax payers.
Another important function of the Committee is to enhance the awareness/ knowledge of the members of the ICAI relating to indirect taxes and the potential opportunities offered by this area by organising workshops, certificate courses, seminars, e-learning and interactive programme independently as also with trade and industry."
- Chairman - CA. Sushil Kumar Goyal
- Vice-Chairman - CA. Umesh Ramnarayan Sharma
- To assist, advise and guide the stakeholders so as to make indirect tax laws in the country simple, transparent, certain and equitable.
- To examine GST law, rules, notifications, circulars, advance ruling, press release etc. enacted/issued and to submit suitable suggestions/memoranda to the Central Government/State Governments/Union Territories/GST Council and such other bodies.
- To examine other indirect tax laws, rules, regulations, notifications, circulars etc. enacted/ issued and to submit suitable suggestions/Pre and Post Budget Memoranda.
- To make representations on GST and other indirect taxes to the Central Government/State Governments/Union Territories/ GST Council and such other bodies.
- To assist, advise and interact with Government of India, State Governments, Union Territories, GST Council, Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN) & other authorities and /or its committees/ groups formed, in policy matters and matters relating to functioning and administration of taxes.
- To assist, advise and interact with Government(s) in foreign jurisdiction on matters relating to indirect taxes in collaboration with International Affairs Committee of ICAI.
- To enhance the awareness/ knowledge of indirect taxes prevalent in India and abroad and the potential opportunities therein by organising workshops, certificate courses, seminars, e-learning, interactive programmes etc. independently and/or jointly with the Government / trade associations.
- To update/ review and revise existing publications and develop new publications as may be relevant including newsletters in physical form as well as through digital means.
- To conduct research/ studies in India and/ or abroad and publish the same.
- To conduct training programmes for officials of the Central Government/ State Governments/ Union Territories on areas relating to GST & other indirect taxes.
- To carry out such other matters as the Council/President may refer to the Committee.
Secretary to the Committee: CA. Smita Mishra