The Indirect Taxes Committee is one of the most important non-standing Committees of the ICAI. The main function of the Committee is to examine the indirect taxes laws, rules, regulations, circulars, notifications etc., which may be enacted or issued by the Government from time to time and to send suitable memoranda containing suggestions for improvements in the respective legislation. The Indirect Taxes Committee actively facilitates the process of formulation of budget by offering pre-budget and post-budget suggestions/comments to simplify tax laws and their administration for the purpose of making it more responsive to tax payers.
Another important function of the Committee is to enhance the awareness/ knowledge of the members of the ICAI relating to indirect taxes and the potential opportunities offered by this area by organising workshops, certificate courses, seminars, e-learning and interactive programme independently as also with trade and industry."
- Chairman - CA. Madhukar Narayan Hiregange
- Vice-Chairman - CA. Sushil Kumar Goyal
- To assist, advise and guide to make Indirect Tax laws in the country simple, transparent, certain and equitable.
- To examine indirect tax laws, rules, regulations, notifications, circulars etc. enacted/ issued and conduct Pre-Budget and Post Budget Workshops and make representations to Central and State Governments.
- To assist, advise and interact with Government of India & State Governments, Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN) & other authority and /or its committees/ groups formed in policy matters and those relating to functioning and administration of taxes.
- To enhance the awareness/ knowledge of Indirect Taxes prevalent in India and abroad and the potential opportunities by organising workshops, certificate courses, seminars, e-learning and interactive programmes independently as also with trade and industry.
- To update/ review and revise existing publications and bring out new one as may be relevant including e-news letter.
- To popularise the Indirect Taxes Net.
- To conduct research/ studies in India and/ or abroad and publish the same.
- To conduct training programmes for official of Central and State Governments on area relating to Indirect Taxes.
- To carry out such other matters as the Council/President may refer to the Committee.
Secretary to the Committee: CA. Sharad Singhal